- /LiveSmart BC
- Connect with LiveSmart
- LiveSmart at Home
- LiveSmart at Work
- LiveSmart on the Road
- LiveSmart in your Community
- Climate Education
- A4CA - Apps for Climate Action
- Incentive & Rebate Programs
- Efficiency Incentive Program
- On Bill Financing Pilots
- Small Business Program
- Transportation Rebates & Incentives
- Media Room
LiveSmart BC - Blog
June 30, 2011
B.C. Government Announces Carbon Neutrality
UPDATE: April 5, 2012
NEW Moving Forward with Carbon Neutral Government: Engagement Report
NEW Carbon Neutral Government Overview (April Bulletin)
We did it! British Columbia has just become the first provincial/state jurisdiction in North America to achieve carbon neutrality in public sector operations. Kudos and congratulations!
As of June 30, 2011, all public sector organizations in the province have offset carbon emissions from 2010 operations. Read the News Release & Backgrounder.
To fully appreciate the achievement, read Carbon Neutral B.C. - Transforming B.C.’s Public Sector.
LiveSmart BC is also proud to host a series of web pages and features that tell the story of how every school, hospital, university, Crown corporation, and government office found innovative and inspiring ways to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, cut energy costs, and demonstrate greener leadership in their sectors.
Celebrate and become more familiar with the details surrounding this incredible climate action success story: Review highlights from your community, watch slideshows, view reports, learn about successful projects, understand more about reductions and offsets... and discover new ways for you and your organization to reduce your own carbon footprint.
The following is a summary of the pages, content and materials being featured on LiveSmartBC.ca:
- Carbon Neutral BC
- your homepage for everything "carbon neutral government"
- check out our Flickr Slideshow
- Understanding Carbon Neutrality
- Measure − the tools and systems used to measure and track GHGs in operations
- Reduce − investments and strategies for improving energy-efficiency and reducing consumption
- Offset − how investments in clean-tech works to counteract the effects of GHG emissions
- Report − engaging the public and demonstrating success through accountable results reporting
- Carbon Neutral Reporting by Sector
- introduces the legislative requirements and provides the 2010 carbon neutral report
- summarises facts and figures for the public sector as a whole (emissions, offsets, dollars)
- provides links to the individual sector pages (schools, hospitals, universities, crowns, core government)
- links to pages with summary and individual reports available from 2009, 2008
- 2010 Carbon Neutral Action Reports (individual sector pages)
- School Districts; Post Secondary; Health Authorities; Crown Corporations; Core Government
- introduction and highlights
- figures for 2010 emissions by source (buildings, mobile, paper)
- figures for 2010 offsets (tonnes, dollars)
- individual Climate Neutral Action Reports from each organization (e.g. school district)
- Success stories from across the sector and around the province.
••►King Tides Inspire Adaptation
••►Clean Energy Vehicles – The long wait is over...
••►Introducing the Beckett Electric Truck
••►Make it a Green Autumn on the Road
••►BC Expert Climate Professors Launch Online Learning Presentation for Public Education
••►ecoENERGY Program Doubles Incentives Available from LiveSmartBC
••►Free Home Energy Assessments in the CRD when "EnerGuide for Houses" efficiency label posted on MLS®
••►B.C. government announces carbon neutrality
••►B.C. Public Sector green leadership recognised
••►LiveSmart BC: Programs for You
••►Energy innovation and conservation in the Public Sector
••►Resource Page for LiveSmartBC Contractors
••►LiveSmart BC: Efficiency Incentive Program
••►Earth Hour, March 26
••►New Standards for Energy Efficient Light Bulbs in Effect on January 1st
••►King Tides, Living Cities
••►Helping Small Businesses Go Green and Save
••►Apps 4 Climate Action
••►Climate Action for the 21st Century